Today police identify a young woman killed in an often scandalous Kansas City crime hot spot.
KMBC confirms that a 19-year-old woman was shot to death as the homicide investigation continues today – The 61st for KCMO this year – Meanwhile, the KC Crimefighter shared essential deets on this tragedy yesterday afternoon and continues to work with authorities today.
Now, let’s look at the trend in this tragic neighborhood that’s merely a stone’s throw away from hundreds of millions worth of Kansas City development incentives yet still home to the most squalid conditions in Kansas City proper.
Harlem in Kansas City is mostly an industrial site that’s hosts body shops, light manufacturing and a few warhorses but there are also residences for a diverse group of people mostly living in abject poverty.
A few years ago public radio profiled the swath of land in a very kind report. Here’s a quote:
"In its heyday during the early 1900s, this 50-acre town was home to nearly 600 people but today it looks like a ghost town. Most of its original structures have been torn down leaving just three homes, a handful of businesses, a church and a former Holiday Inn converted into apartments."
The Holiday Apartment Complex has continually been a local hotspot and in 2015 was the site of a murder of a transgender woman who was brutally stabbed to death.
The apartments are secluded, dingy and look exceptionally dangerous. But rather than relying on stereotypes, here are some of the more informative online reviews of this location:
– "This place is in the heart of a once good area … Like 50 years ago. The building is ghetto and is nasty the staff just sucks. The police literally stay outside and wait around for someone to commit a crime. Not too long ago someone was stabbed and killed on the property. Please, people do not go here, it is a health and life risk."
– "Definitely the cheapest in town! C’mon! For the price, no deposit, you can buy your own toilet paper and shower curtain, and bedding. And there’s always "excitement" there! Never a dull moment lol"
– "There really should be a no star rating on here. The place is filthy . . . Had a friend get murdered there. The police are always there for something. So much drugs, prostitution, stolen cars."
– "Just know you get what you pay for; no the place isn’t the Hilton but it’s a roof over your head so many of us have to struggle just to make it day-to-day week-to-week and at least when you move in here you don’t have that deposit you have to worry about paying you can choose to pay weekly for about a month yes there may be criminals and drugs but that’s any and everywhere in this world nowadays just mind who you associate with and if you must. Just keep to yourself."
– "Take care of your biz, stay to yourself & u will b just fine. Keep your head up."
The allegations get worse but we’ve only included the reviews based on opinion and public information crime reporting along with some defense of the place in fairness.
Nevertheless . . .
POLICE CONFIRM THAT THE HOLIDAY APARTMENT COMPLEX IS NOTORIOUS AS THIS KANSAS CITY HOT SPOT SETS THE SCENE FOR ANOTHER KILLING!!!
And so, the reality here is that over a billion in public subsidy along the nearly streetcar line doesn’t really impact the lives of people just across the bridge and living in desperate circumstances. And while we decry the critical lack of affordable and safe low-income housing in Kansas City – This location at least deserves a review and further consideration as an example of blighted and dangerous living conditions that have claimed another life.
You decide . . .